Over the past 15 years I have taught thousands of people how to use a camera. As a professional photographer I value time and simplicity. Camera Easy is my philosophy.Greg Johnson, The Tornado Hunter
Your instructor is Greg Johnson, the Tornado Hunter. With over 20 years of professional photography experience Greg will give you the ‘ah-ha’ moments and make sure you understand how the camera works. The Intro course is designed to teach a technical overview and understanding of your Digital SLR or Mirrorless camera. Simply put, you will understand how your camera works by the end of the workshop, and you will have a ton of fun while learning! Over 15 hours of instruction throughout the 2 days. Generally, classes run from 9 am – 5 pm. Lunches, snacks and beverages are included.
To register, please scroll down and fill out the registration form. At the bottom, click the drop down bar for location options. Click Submit. You will be directed to a payment page where you can choose to pay via Paypal or with a credit card.
Workshop Dates and Locations
|Nov 28-29 2019 (Thurs-Fri)||Yorkton, SK – $425||Home Inn and Suites||SOLD OUT|
|Dec 7-8 2019 (Sat-Sun)||Regina, SK – $425||Sandman Hotel||SOLD OUT|
|Jan 2-6 2020 (Thur-Mon)||INTERMEDIATE – Yellowknife NWT – $1450||AURORA and WILDLIFE||SOLD OUT|
|Jan 11-12 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Morden, MB – $425||Best Western Plus||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Jan 15-22 2020||INTERMEDIATE – Dominican Republic||Punta Cana Princess||SOLD OUT|
|Jan 25-26 2020 (Sat-Sun)||INTERMEDIATE – Regina, SK – $425||Dallas Valley Ranch||12 SEATS OPEN|
|Jan 30-31 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Weyburn, SK – $425||McKenna Hall||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Feb 13-14 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Regina, SK – $425||Sandman Inn||15 SEATS OPEN|
|Feb 20-21 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Kemptville, ON – $425||Kemptville Campus||14 SEATS OPEN|
|Feb 22-23 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Ottawa, ON – $425||Nepean Sailing Club||14 SEATS OPEN|
|Feb 27-28 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Moose Jaw, SK – $425||Wildlife Federation||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Feb 29-Mar 1 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Swift Current – $425||Home Inn||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Mar 5-6 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Calgary, AB – $425||Days Inn Balzac||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Mar 7-8 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Red Deer, AB – $425||Holiday Inn Red Deer South||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Mar 11-12 2020 (Wed-Thur)||Grand Prairie, AB – $425||Podollan Inn and Spa||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Mar 14-15 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Edmonton, AB – $425||Radisson Hotel and Convention Center||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Mar 26-27 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Prince Albert, SK – $425||Holiday Inn Express||16 SEATS OPEN|
|Mar 28-29 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Saskatoon, SK – $425||Hampton Inn Airport||16 SEATS OPEN|
|April 2-3 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Victoria, BC – $425||Inn at Laurel Point||16 SEATS OPEN|
|April 4-5 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Vancouver, BC – $425||Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront||16 SEATS OPEN|
|April 16-17 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Davidson, SK – $425||Elks Hall||16 SEATS OPEN|
|April 18-19 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Lloydminster, AB – $425||Lakeland College||16 SEATS OPEN|
|April 23-24 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Lethbridge, AB -$425||Paradise Canyon Golf Resort||16 SEATS OPEN|
|April 25-26 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Medicine Hat, AB – $425||Medicine Hat Lodge||16 SEATS OPEN|
|April 30-May 1 2020 (Thur-Fri)||Brandon, MB – $425||Canad Inns||16 SEATS OPEN|
|May 2-3 2020 (Sat-Sun)||Yorkton, SK – $425||Western Dev Museum||16 SEATS OPEN|
Workshop Registration Form
- Fill out the form and click submit. You will be directed to a payment page where you can choose to pay via Paypal or with a credit card.
- To use a credit card, click “Pay with a Credit or Visa Debit Card” . This will allow you to enter your credit card information. Please ensure the name, address and phone number entered in this portion match that of your credit card.
- To pay via E-transfer, please email Tracy at firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
I have taken a lot of courses and been in a lot of classrooms over the 20+ years I served in the military. Greg has a way of instructing that isn’t just restricted to instructing, it is engaging, entertaining and informational. Presented in an easy to understand format or way, if you will. It is clear... read more
This is the second time around taking this intro class! I still found it interesting and picked up a few more skills that I might of missed during the first class taken almost two years ago! I really enjoyed the part when Greg shows the student's practice photos taken after the first day of lessons. ... read more
The workshop hosted by Greg was fantastic. Using humour and repetition he taught us the skills to form a solid foundation in our photography. The course was definitely worth the time and money. I look forward to taking Greg's intermediate classes.
What is correct exposure
Navigating around the camera – What does it all mean
Holding the camera
Focal Length – effects on quality
Holding focus and recomposing
Aperture – exposure compensation
Shutter Speed – hand hold vs tripod
Single shot focusing
Aperture – bracketing exposure
Shutter Speed – bracketing exposure
Composition – Rule of thirds
Composition – SCUFI
Composition – Perspective
Candid Photography techniques
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I cannot make it to a workshop. Do you have an online version of your workshops?
- A: Yes! Camera Easy is my online course and I even recommend it as a followup to the live events. If you can’t make it out to a live event workshop, then Camera Easy is just what the doctor ordered.
Q: I have not yet purchased a camera but I intend to and would like to take the course. Do you provide cameras
to learn with?
- A: We have a camera we can lend for the course. Please email email@example.com to make these arrangements
Q: I am a pure beginner. I literally know nothing about the camera and only use the auto stuff. Is this the course for me?
- A: Yes. The intro course will allow you to understand how the camera works. Everyone has to start somewhere!
Q: If I am already quite familiar with my camera is the intro workshop right for me? What topics will be covered?
- A:, Yes, this is definitely the correct workshop. There will of course be some repetition on a few items, however, I have a very different approach and from my experience, with thousands of photographers that have come through this course, everyone benefits starting here.
With that being said, going straight into the Intermediate course is right for some people. The following questions will help direct you to the correct workshop:
- What camera are you using?
- Do you shoot in manual mode?
- Do you have an external flash?
- Please list your two favourite lenses that you currently own?
- If you shoot at night (aurora/stars/lightning) please attach one or two images.
- By answering these questions I will be able to ensure we get you in the right workshop.
- Please email your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: I have a camera which is an advanced travel camera, it has the usual capabilities but no interchangeable lens. Is it worth me taking the course when I have a limited camera?
- A: ZS100 is a fantastic camera. Although it is not a dslr camera, it has every bit of the necessary functionality and is totally suitable for the workshop. That being said, one of the outcomes from the workshop will likely be that you will discover that there are a few limitations with this camera. I suggest taking the workshop with this camera and if and when you decide to upgrade to a better version, you will have a great idea of what you need and want.
Q: Am I able to purchase a gift certificate for someone?
- A: Yes, gift certificates are available in any denomination and can be purchased by emailing email@example.com. We will wait to contact the recipient until after the gift has been received.
Q: Is a micro 4/3 camera is suitable to take this class?
- A: Yes
Q: I was wondering about these classes as I have a mirrorless camera and would love to know how to use it. Are these classes beneficial for my type of camera. I was hesitant to sign up because of this.
- A: Yes
Q: I have an older Camera – Canon T3i
- A: Perfect, don’t buy anything before the workshop. We will spend some time discussing purchasing and things to avoid.
Q: I have a Nikon D90 which is about 10 yrs old. Would that suffice for the workshop?
- A: Perfect. Yes, this is a wonderful camera, however the technology is older. It will be great for the workshop and then you can make a more informed decision about purchasing after your two days with Greg.
Q: I have taken the Intro course. What does the intermediate course offer that is different? What if I “forget” some of the stuff I learned in the beginner course?
- A: You are absolutely ready to take the Intermediate course. We will review a few things from the Intro class before we get started. The intermediate workshop will build on the skills you learned in the intro workshop and focus on more advanced techniques like bracketing, tripod shooting, long exposures, workflow, night shooting and some editing.